Monday, June 2, 2014

Por fin, esta haciendo frio! ...Y estoy enfermo otra vez.

Direct translation of the title: For End, is making cold! ...And am sick other time.  Spanish is weird. But what's even weirder is that I understand this nonsense above.

Hey Everybody!

So, as stated in the title, (if you could understand the Spanish syntax), it's finally started to get a bit colder down here! Brace yourselves, winter's coming. The only thing is that the cold down here is awful. It's super humid, so no matter what, you're sweating. But I still have to wear my jacket, because it's too cold to go without. And because it's so humid, I've gotten sick. Twice. Climate change sucks.  But don't worry too much about that, because right now I'm not sick. (Yay)

So, I want to answer some questions that I received this last week. First of, with my English classes, I've had to put them on pause for a little time, because I have to worry more about training my new companion. So, right now I'm not teaching. However, I'm going to start it up again soon.

Segundo, mi español esta progresando rápidamente, gracias. Yes, I'm fluent now. I've seen that a lot of the time it's even easier for me too speak in Spanish that in English. I've actually started to forget how to English.

Oh, and here's me, my companion, and my pensionista.


So right now I'm going to give you all a brief run-through of everything that's been going on this week.

Monday was p-day, and I was so relieved. (Adam, that was for you.)  It was companionship p-day, and what I wanted to do was stay in our apartment and sleep. My companion Elder Macias wanted to go shop for clothes.  My companion constantly complains, so, we went to shop for clothes. I felt so exhausted all the rest of that day. That wasn't very fun, and pretty frustrating. I didn't even buy anything because I don't have money. Oh well, he's new, he's still got to learn a lot of patience.

I also had a pretty cool experience on Monday. We went to teach the family of Nycol (Yes, it's pronounced the same as Nicole), and after teaching, just about finishing the lesson, Nycol's Mom said something really interesting. She said that usually in lessons like this, she has a bit of trouble paying attention. but she said that when I taught, there was something different. She could pay perfect attention, understand perfectly, but the part that struck me most was that she said that when she looked at my face, it seemed like it was someone else. This experience has made me think. Missionaries really aren't the teachers, it's the spirit, and the spirit uses us as the tools to help the people. So, that was something else.

Tuesday, we had our district meeting as usual. The only thing that was different, is that we have to practice a little sketch for our multi-zone conference that we're going to have in a couple of weeks. The thing is, this little "play" is entirely in English (To help the Latinos learn English). So, guess who has been directing it. Yep, I have to direct this little sketch for two reasons. 1 Because I'm an actor. 2 Because I'm the only one in my Zone who speaks English as my first language. So, it's been going pretty well, we'll see how it goes.

On Thursday, we passed by a little house complex where this was written on the wall. I felt so special.


It says, Blessed be him who comes in the name of the Lord. And yes, it was cold enough to need a scarf.

Okay, another story. On Saturday, I completed 10 months! WOOO. It was also the birthday of my district leader, so we celebrated with cake.


It's so delicious and moist. This is just about the most delicious cake I've had down here in Peru. It was my District leader's birthday this week, so of course we had to celebrate.

The thing is, Saturday was also the birthday of our landlord, and the way that the Peruvians party is... well... Different.  Our apartment is on the third floor, and the landlord lives on the first floor. We didn't go to the party, but we felt like we did, because they were playing their music on full blast, we could smell the cigarette smoke really strongly, and we could hear them partying and drinking ALL NIGHT. We couldn't sleep because of all the noise, so we played UNO until it stopped. (Thanks Mom) I found out that I'm really good at UNO. The four of us played six games, and I won four of them. When the music and partying finally stopped, and we could finally go to sleep, it was four in the morning. FOUR IN THE MORNING. I wanted to strangle something. I got about two hours of sleep that night.

Okay, that's all I have time to write this week. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear where Nate gets called, so let me know as soon as you have the news!

I love you guys! Until next week,
-Elder Dañel Jacob Esmitho

No comments:

Post a Comment