Monday, January 6, 2014

Hey! That Thing's On Fire! Oh Wait, No, the Police Put It Out!

Hola! Hey, everyone!

So, this week was pretty fun with New Years Eve and everything. And I can honestly say that NOW I have never seen more fireworks in my life than what I saw this New Year's Eve. The people down here take their pyrotechnics seriously.



...But there was something else more interesting that happened on New Years. 

Apparently, it's a tradition down here to make big scarecrow type things, consisting of old clothing and wood shavings, and putting them out into the street at midnight on New Year's Eve, covering them with gasoline and lighting them on fire. It looks pretty gruesome, because it looks like there are a bunch of people lying in the streets ON FIRE. 
 

 
There were two burning in the street in front of my apartment, and one ready to start, until du-du-du-duh-bah-dah!! The police, with a huge truck which had a giant water tank and giant hose drove by and put the two out. Right behind, a police truck stopped at the one that was ready to light, took the doll, threw it in the back of the truck, and drove away. Thank you, Municipality of Santa Anita!
 
 
Other than this, our week was pretty boring. Because of the fiestas, booze, and possibly illegal amounts of fireworks, no one wanted to receive us, even the members. The only things that really happened this week were that we had our English classes. Other than that, It was really just knocking on doors, attempting to contact in the streets, and crying . . . (Not really).

I have been eating A LOT of paneton recently. It isn't that I like it, because I don't really like it. It's that I can't say no when I'm offered. 
 
 
We really didn't have many lessons this week. I'd like to share more about what's happening, but nothing's happening. If you have any questions, write me and I can respond to those.

And yes, I think that transfers are going to be this coming week. And I'm almost positive that I'm going to be moving to a new area.  

Oh, and Elder Salazar was asking me if they sold Books of Mormon like the originals, with the brown cover, the type that doesn't have verses, etc., like the kind in the time of Joseph Smith?

I love you all, thanks for all your support! Until next week,

-Elder DaƱel Jacob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment